Love or loathe, Valentine’s Day happens once a year. And, while I’d be the first to argue for all of the reasons you should treat your sweetheart special year-round there is something nice about a designated day to celebrate love.
Fortunately, we have it all figured out to make your preparations basically a one-stop shop. We tend to think of Valentine’s Day as a day for him to celebrate her, but I think we should celebrate each other. With Valentine’s Day falling on the Friday of President’s Weekend this year, we are encouraging you to plan ahead.
Let’s do this.
- Chocolate – A few months ago, I spent some time thinking about all of the special occasions we celebrate with sweets; thankfully there are quite a few. Popping in the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory is pretty much the best way to spend a morning, afternoon, or evening, which also rings true on Valentine’s Day. Even if you just walk through to access Dolly’s, the smell, it is divine. If you are celebrating your love on a budget, try having a special dessert out and about! How often do you order dessert at a restaurant? Probably not enough; treat yourself.
- Jewelry – Jewelry is such a personal and fabulous accessory. Combining your favorites with your loved one's favorites for an expression of love in metal and stones can be challenging. Fortunately, Historic Park City boasts jewelry stores that fit all budgets and tastes. I’ll let you in on a little secret - sometimes, my girlfriends and I enjoy browsing the various jewelry shops on the street just to expose ourselves to the different varieties of jewelry in town. You could say that, somewhat like art, jewelry is one of those things that if you admire a particular piece long enough eventually you can’t live without it.
- Gifts for Him – Yes him, he who honors you day in and day out all year long. We tend to think of romance as an act from a man toward a woman, but think of how much you love him. We published a post called "Manly Main" on a few boutiques that cater to men several months ago. Why not pick out a little something to show him how much he means to you. Men, this goes for you too!
- Dinner – Sushi, American, French, Italian, Irish, Mediterranean you name it and you can enjoy it. A few years ago, my girlfriends and I were all missing our sweethearts on Valentine’s Day, so we made a reservation on Main Street and celebrated each other, complete with chocolate cake.
- Entertainment - Eating out is almost the norm for some of us, but making a night of it with pre-drinks, post-drinks and / or special entertainment, can make it special.
We even have a few recommendations for you loathers. Who knows, this may be the year you embrace this day of love.
- Buy yourself something you Love – What better reason to splurge on yourself? It’s Friday in February, and you deserve a treat. Head straight to your favorite spot and buy yourself something you love! You’ll celebrate that purchase time and time again over the year.
- From there, head to the No Name, Shucks or Lindsey O’s, there is a slim chance you’ll run into any smug lovey-dovey couples, but you’ll find a crew of fun, friendly men and women who are probably just celebrating Friday.
- Drinking, not your thing? NBD! Check out Atticus or Java Cow for a warm drink treat. Browse books at Dolly’s, or create your own Gallery Stroll and visit the many art galleries up and down Main Street.
This Valentine’s Day, love it or loathe it, take a moment to celebrate something that you love. We’ll be celebrating you.