Allow me to set the scene for you. It was a beautiful, snowy Saturday evening, the Saturday after Thanksgiving known as Small Business Saturday and the official kickoff of the Holiday season in Historic Park City. It had been lightly snowing throughout the day giving the soft glow that only a recent snowfall can and Park City’s finest took to Main Street with glitter and glam.
Entrants in this year’s Electric Parade were bigger, brighter and most importantly more festive than ever. At 6:00 on the dot, the caravan departed City Park for Main Street to spread Holiday Cheer to onlookers as dreams of awards danced in their heads. While all of the entrants are considered winners in my mind, the judges stationed at Bistro 412 had the difficult job of deciding who to crown as the most festive in all the land.
And the winners are:
Drum roll, please
- Best of Show: The Gingerbread House, powered by a Honda Fit, which was created by the winning team from 2014. The reigning champs are quickly making a name for themselves in Electric Parade circuits. I know I’ll keep my eyes peeled for what’s to come with these guys.
- Power to Make it Happen: Chaotic Christmas. You may have heard these guys coming before you saw them. Powered by the local Karaoke Cab company and a 20’ flatbed trailer filled with friends celebrating the season.
- “Entrepreneurs Unite”/Small Business Award: With a skiing Santa poised on a jib feature on top of a truck and skateboarding yetis alongside the float, RAMP Sports stole the show with true entrepreneur spirit. PC: Instagram @tupeloparkcity
- Mayor’s Award: Part of the fun of the Electric Parade is the true quirkiness that comes out, and, of course, the old vehicles. This Dodge van was unassuming as we prepped in the staging area, yet once it powered on the display she was a float to be reckoned with. PC: Instagram @dorafang
- Holiday Time in the Mountains: These guys turned the lights on to highlight Santa, Mrs. Claus and the cutest little elf you ever have seen.
This event gets better each year. Mark your calendar now for the 2016 event, and start preparing your float NOW. Yes, you! You can enter. It’s free and a ton of fun.
We’d like to thank each and every one of the participants and the spectators that helped us to kick off the holiday season.